Jean Paul Sartre

Jean-Paul Sartre was born in Paris as the only child of Jean-Baptiste Sartre, an officer of the French Navy, and Anne-Marie Schweitzer. His mother was of Alsatian origin and the first cousin of Nobel Prize laureate Albert Schweitzer. (Her father, Charles Schweitzer, was the older brother of Albert Schweitzer's father, Louis Théophile.) When Sartre was 15 months old, his father died of a fever. Anne-Marie moved back to her parents' house in Meudon, where Sartre was raised with help from her father, a professor of German, who taught Sartre mathematics and introduced him to classical literature at a very early age. At twelve his mother remarried and the family moved to La Rochelle, where he was frequently bullied. Read more..
  • All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in books.
  • Being is. Being is in-itself. Being is what it is.
  • Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance.
  • Evil is the product of the ability of humans to make abstract that which is concrete
  • Fear? If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear.
  • Hell is other people.
  • I confused things with their names: that is belief.
  • I do not believe in God; his existence has been disproved by Science. But in the concentration camp, I learned to believe in men.
  • My thought is me: that is why I cannot stop thinking. I exist because I think I cannot keep from thinking
  • What do I care about Jupiter? Justice is a human issue, and I do not need a god to teach it to me
  • Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.
  • Existentialism isn't so atheistic that it wears itself out showing that God doesn't exist. Rather, it declares that even if God did exist, that would change nothing.
  • That God does not exist, I cannot deny, That my whole being cries out for God I cannot forget.
  • To believe is to know you believe, and to know you believe is not to believe.


No comments: