Ricy Gervais

Ricky Dene Gervais (born 25 June 1961) is an English comedian, actor, voice actor, director, producer, musician, writer, and former radio presenter. Gervais is an atheist, stating he lost his Christian faith at the age of eight and in June 2008 he became an honorary associate of the National Secular Society. In December 2010 he wrote an editorial for The Wall Street Journal defending his non-faith. Gervais lives in Hampstead, having moved from Bloomsbury, with his girlfriend of 31 years, producer and screenwriter Jane Fallon. He says they chose not to marry because "there's no point in us having an actual ceremony before the eyes of God because there is no God" or have children because they "didn't fancy dedicating 16 years of our lives. And there are too many children, of course". In August 2008, they bought a second home on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City. Read More..


  • Next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.
  • I see Atheists are fighting and killing each other again, over who doesn't believe in any God the most. Oh, no..wait.. that never happens.
  • A Christian telling an atheist they're going to hell is as scary as a child telling an adult they're not getting any presents from Santa. 
  • The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a matter of opinion. You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts. 
  • The best advice I've ever received is, 'No one else knows what they're doing either. 
  • That’s the other thing I learned that day, that the truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity. 
  • As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a God. I don’t think there is a God, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that’s fine with me. It’s when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a God. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different God, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral. It’s strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything that happens, would also want to judge and punish people for what they are.
  • No one wants to see cool people doing brilliantly. I want to see the struggle. That's the fun bit. 
  • Spirituality really lost its way when it became a stick to beat people with: ‘Do this or you’ll burn in hell.” 
  • Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.
  • People confuse the subject of the joke with the target of the joke, and they're very rarely the same.
  • The truth doesn’t hurt. Whatever it is, it doesn’t hurt. It’s better to know the truth.
  • You have options. You can either continue to be miserable or you can just stop being angry at everyone and accept the way things are. Allow yourself to live.
  • I think I've the right to say I'm not believer in God just like every one has the right to believe in God.




No comments: